Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Rhubarb Pie

 This pie is so good!  I haven't had it for probably 10 plus years and I finally made it after I found some rhubarb for $5.99 per pound.
I have been searching since March for rhubarb, I even asked the local Amish people if they grew it, but come to find out, it's too warm to grow it here with much success.  While I was at Wegmans, I found rhubarb, I called Grandma and she was shocked when I told her the price per pound!

I bought about 1.7 pounds of  (about 10-11 stalks (I don't remember how many exactly).  I only used about 6 stalks cut up into 1/2 inch pieces (I cut each stalk lengthwise and then 1/2 inch pieces.)

The last time I had this pie at Grandma's house, it had equal substituted for the sugar and I remember not really liking it.  But with real sugar, it is one of my most favorite pies ever!  It is tart and sweet...so good!

One Crust Rhubarb Pie
2 eggs, well beaten
2 Tbls butter, melted
3 1/2 cups diced rhubarb
1 1/2 cups sugar (I cut this down to about 1 1/3 cups, but I wouldn't cut out much more because it needs sugar.)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
7 Tbls (or 1/2 cup) flour
1 - unbaked 9" pie crust

Combine eggs, butter, rhubarb.  Mix sugar, cinnamon, salt, flour.  Add to rhubarb mixture and blend well.  Pour into unbaked pie crust.  Bake at 375 degrees for 50-60 minutes until set.

(I actually baked mine at 350 on accident then bumped it up to 375 for the last 15 minutes and it worked.)

No comments:

Post a Comment